Greetings from the iPinion editors
iPinion was born from a love of ideas. Sometimes these ideas manifested as quiet pleas and protests. Other times they read as shameful confessions or proud disclosures. On still other occasions, they were clamorous shrieks of unabashedly, unapologetic opinion. You see, that’s the way we wanted it: Opinion expressed and received in individual conversations with the rest of the world. However, we also wished to present an alternative to the 24/7 non-stop flash-flooding of pundit hackery. Having both come from journalism backgrounds, we value writers who waded through the sticky muck of the half-truths and jingoism so prevalent on all sides of today’s debates, and who attempted to discern nuggets of “actuality” from the fog of fantasy.
We also wanted to distance ourselves from blogging sites that engaged merely in sycophantic daily diatribes. We are not suggesting that we have been 100 percent successful at either endeavor, but the delivery of reflective opinion, open for larger conversations, remains our primary goal. Over time, iPinion transformed, evolved and re-calibrated. The concept of what counted as conversation-starting ideas grew and expanded. We added photographers, video bloggers, cartoonists, and fiction writers to our team. We expanded from just writers or photographers or artists; we were all contributors to the larger discussions. This year, we will bring artists into the mix. In 2012, we proudly showcased many of our contributors’ publications and awards. View these accolades. As for the website itself, this year, we modified our format to best host this evolving galaxy of ideas. Working with photographer and graphic designer Ivan Villa, we created a new canvas on which to paint our thoughts.
Here are some of the features of our new website:
- iPinion.us is now iPinionSyndicate.com. (The old website will redirect to the new one for the time being.)
- The new site is easier to navigate, and allows for new features to be added.
- Visually, the iPinion website has a more current, minimalist appearance. Column text is larger and softer on the eyes. Links to various social networks appear on each page. Photographers each have their own galleries to spotlight their best work, which is also featured in the slideshow on the home page.
- New contributions (columns, blogs, photography, art, comics, and vlogs) will now appear daily. No more waiting until Sunday for the new content — it’s there every day!
- The new website allows for improved interactivity with social networks.
We hope that you find these changes as exciting as we do. Please visit our “Contact Us” page if you have questions or suggestions. Finally, we would like to thank the growing number of readers we have gained over the past three years. Without you, there is truly only “i.”
Debra DeAngelo and David Lacy
Co-Founders of iPinion Syndicate™