• author
    • Kelvin Wade

      Columnist
    • November 2, 2014 in Columnists

    The BS ‘I’m not a scientist’ talking point

    When I first saw Jeb Bush’s son, George Prescott Bush, years ago I thought he was destined to be a future leader in this country. He looks like a leader. He comes from a dynastic political family. And now, at the age of 38, he’s on track to win his first election to office as Texas Land Commissioner. He leads his opponent by 20 points, which should not be a shock in Texas. Plus George P. Bush’s mother is Mexican-American and let’s face it, that’s good news to a Republican Party that hasn’t been incredibly welcoming to Hispanics. The Bush family comes from the liberal to moderate wing of the Republican Party and I had hope that this younger generation might embrace some of those moderate values and de-Palinize the Republican Party.

    What was I thinking?

    Texas land Commissioner is an important position because he will be involved in issues like fracking and drilling, which are obviously important in a state like Texas. Naturally, since the position involves the environment, Bush has been asked many times about climate change. With every statement he makes, he backtracks or flip-flops and contorts himself to fall in line with the party line on climate change.

    In this, the young Bush isn’t kinder or gentler or compassionate. No, he’s bucking to be the standard-bearer for the idiocracy.

    In his latest response to a question on climate change, he uttered the now infamous Republican phrase, “I’m not a scientist…” and acted as though he was too much of a rube to formulate an opinion. It’s a truly gutless, nutless answer. No thinking voter should be satisfied with it

    I’m not a geophysicist, but I can guess that if I pick up a rock and I throw it at your freaking head, it’s going to hurt when it hits  you.

    I’m not an astrophysicist, but I know that in the vacuum of space, I wouldn’t be able to breathe.

    I’m not Kinsey, Masters and Johnson, or Dr. Ruth Westheimer but I know that if I have unprotected sex with your sister, there’s a good chance she could end up pregnant.

    I’m not a coroner, but if somebody shoots you in the face at point-blank range with a 12 gauge shotgun, I think I can determine the cause of your death was getting shot in the face at point blank range with a shotgun.

    You’ve heard it before and I’m going to repeat it right here: 97 percent of climate scientists say that man-made climate change is real. If there was a landmine on the ground and I told you that if you step on it there’s a 97 percent chance it would blow your legs off, would you step on it and put your faith in that 3 percent?

    NASA’s website provides a list of scientific bodies that agree on this. American Association for the Advancement of Science. American Chemical Society. American Geophysical Union. American Medical Association. American Metereological Society. American Physical Society. The Geological Society of America. U.S. National Academy of Science. The American Society of People Who Don’t Have Their Heads Up their Asses.

    But my point is not to argue the fact of climate change. No, my point is the utter disdain I have for politicians who play this stupid game and manipulate voters.

    Two weeks ago the Pentagon released a report saying that climate change threatens national security. Why would they be so clear on that? Is it because there’s a Democrat in the White House? No. It’s because the Pentagon has to react to reality. The armed forces can’t afford to play these political games with the issue because they have to plan for rising seas – drought and storms that can stretch the military thin with humanitarian aid. Droughts, floods and storms can impact a nation’s resources and lack of resources has led to war in the past. The Pentagon has to look at this issue with a sober eye. They can’t afford to pretend it’s not happening or pretend there’s a serious “debate” over the reality of the issue.

    But George P. Bush and others continue to mislead their voters. Playing dumb. I, at least, have the decency to say they’re acting dumb because I know Bush is an intelligent man. I know a lot of Republicans out there using this ignorant, “I’m not a scientist” line know what they’re saying is B.S. But their eye is on short-term gain.

    Today, most Republicans line up against ideas like cap and trade to combat the rise of greenhouse gases. But according to PolitiFact, Ronald Reagan used cap and trade to phase out leaded gasoline, while George H.W. Bush used cap and trade to cut sulphur dioxide emissions in half. From Theodore Roosevelt to Richard Nixon, Republicans have worked to conserve our environment.

    I thought there might be a young crop of new Republicans who were going to step up and cast the horse manure aside. I thought George P. Bush might be one of a new breed of leaders.

    What happened? How do you sell out the planet for political office?

    So, all of you politicians and candidates hiding behind the “I’m not a scientist” ruse, you’re right. You’re not scientists. You’re also not honest, ethical people either.


      • Maya North

      • November 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm
      • Reply

      This is how we have an idiocracy for government — pandering to the people who value ignorance and stupidity and do their best to devalue education if at all humanly possible…


      • Kat

      • November 14, 2014 at 5:28 am
      • Reply

      The Bush’s were originally from the lovely town of Greenwich, CT. My great grandmother Catherine Mary Feeney Brotherton Lyons at one point served as the laundress in the Bush house hold. During her interim as laundress George H.W. Bush was a young child. A young child who, when he ran through puddles in the back yard and soaked his shoes. He then proceeded to put the shoes inside one of the ovens and turned the heat up to broil in attempt to hide his transgression from his mother. Needless to say, the shoes caught fire nearly burning down the house. My great grandmother proceeded to put out the fire and cover up any evidence of the future presidents wrong doing. Scientists? Not so much. I’m sure they have a lovely modern laundress still there to cover up their tracks.



    Leave a Comment